Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (long-term support) is finally out and it comes with exciting new features like screen recording and the Firefox snap app. The installation process remains the same.
Ubuntu 22.04 was officially released on April 21, 2022. Like any other LTS release, Ubuntu 22.04 will be supported until 2027 for hardware and maintenance updates. It will also be supported until 2032 for extended security maintenance.
Ubuntu 22.04 New Features
- GNOME 42 version: This version of GNOME comes with better colours and themes.
- Dark Theme: Dark theme is supported in desktop applications (You can enable dark or light theme by going to settings then appearance)
- Screenshot tool: If you hit the print screen, a screen snipping tool will popup instead of the entire screen being snapped. You can also screen record.
- Programming languages versions: Python 3.1.0 and PHP 8.1 are used, which comes with performance boost
- Firefox snap app: Firefox is installed by default as a snap app. This means it is maintained by Mozilla itself not Ubuntu. It also load faster and auto updates. The problem that some people have with this update is that if you don’t want the snap version then you have to manually install a .deb package.
- Restart button: Power off/Log out menu now has a restart option which has not been available. The restart option was initially only available in the login manager which involved jumping through a lot of hoops.
- Drag and Drop folders: You can drag and drop folders from the file manager to the desktop. This feature was not available in the preceding version.
- Wayland is now the default display server
- Compactness: Ubuntu 22.04 comes with compact widgets, panels and buttons.
- You can now create password-protected zips
In summary, compared to earlier versions, Ubuntu 22.04 is fast, stable, and beautiful.
NOTE: If you get out of memory error during installation, then try rebooting and installing via the legacy mode option.
Learn more about Ubuntu 22.04 or watch this video to experience its look.
Before you leave, Subscribe to our Newsletter to be updated via email when Blogging Tools you use to run your blog release new features or make critical changes. For any question about this post, or anything else related to website technologies, we are responding on Reddit or comment below.
Leave a Reply