If you have just updated WordPress to the latest version and it breaks your website or causes fatal errors then we have provided a guide on how to revert to WordPress 5.8.3 without losing anything.
How to revert to WordPress earlier
There are two ways to revert WordPress core to the previous version. Using WP Admin or File Manager.
The most recommended way to rollback from WordPress update to the previous version for instance from 6.2 to WordPress 6.1 is by using the admin dashboard as follows.
Using wp-admin to roll back
- Login to wp-admin
- Go to Dashboard, then plugins, and search for a plugin called “Core Rollback“
- Install and activate the plugin
- Go to Tools and then Rollback Core
- Select the previous version you were using
- Click Rollback
- Then click Re-install version 6.1
- That is it. You are done.
You can deactivate and delete the Core Rollback plugin after you are done as it is not needed.
Using File Manager or FTP to rollback
This process is only recommended if you can’t access the wp-admin dashboard after the update and you know how to use file manager (send us a message if you need help with this process).
Make sure you have backed up your website before performing this procedure.
- Download the zip file of WordPress version (your previous version)
- Using Cpanel or ftp go to file manager and then public html folder
- Upload the Zip file of WordPress that you downloaded.
- Extract it.
- Open the WordPress folder that you have extracted
- Select all the files and folders
- Drag and Drop or Move them to the public html folder.
- Your website should be reverted to the previous version
It is important that you identify what caused the errors so that your theme developer can address the issue as it is recommended to use the latest version of WordPress for security and plugins compatibility.
You might also want to deactivate all plugins to identify if there is a plugin that caused the fatal error and then contact the plugin developer for an update.
Let us know in the comment section below if you encountered a problem or if you found the guide useful.